As we wind up development on the first rev of our new product, my thought moves full-time to marketing. Explaining a new thing is really hard. I’ve been saving a series of articles on the topic to read again. I thought I’d share them:
- Brad Feld: If You Can’t Explain What You Do In A Paragraph Then You’ve Got A Problem
- Tim Berry: Every Business — Yours Included — Really Needs a Market-Defining Story. Really.
- Andrew Chen: Is Your Market Actually Big? Or Is It A Fake Market?
- Seth Godin: No One Ever Bought Anything On An Elevator
- Rip Empsen: Clayton Christensen: “Disruptive Innovations Create Jobs, Efficiency Innovations Destroy Them”
I’ve been refining the messaging for months, running it by people selectively, judging their reactions, refining it some more. I’m still not there but am definitely closer.