A nurse who works with dying patients wrote that her patient’s biggest regrets are as follows:
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Paul Graham turned the list upside down:
1. Don’t ignore your dreams
2. Don’t work too much
3. Say what you think
4. Cultivate friendships
5. Be happy
I’m traveling this week and especially feel Paul’s list acutely. I miss my wife and girls too much. They are some of my closest friends. Every day I am away from my daughters feels like a day I will never get back. I find that they are a constant reminder of Paul’s list and can’t wait to see them again on Saturday.