We have had quite a few requests over the past few months for a version of powerOne (Finance or Graph or CRE) for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The purpose of this entry is to lay out our plans for you at a high level and tell you how you can help us. One caveat, the plan could easily change between now and release and most likely will be broken into staged releases.
- We have begun the design process on a version of FastFigures that runs native (read: does not require an Internet connection) for the iPhone and iPod Touch. We are currently calling it FastFigures Mobile. There will be components of it that will use an Internet connection, but this won’t be required for performing calculations.
- Unlike powerOne, which was focused on traditional line-entry calculation, FastFigures is template-centric, with calculations available for business, personal and educational needs. A traditional calculator (the goal is both RPN and algebraic entry) will be included in every template.
- We are emphasizing template creation and sharing with FastFigures. The goal is to develop hundreds if not thousands of various calculations that match all kinds of uses and needs. We will develop lots of them and hope that FastFigures users will do the same. Template creators have the option of keeping their template private or sharing them with the world. Over time, we hope, our emphasis internally will shift from writing templates to adding capabilities to make more powerful templates.
- For the first time, template creation will expand to include all available data types (real numbers, decimal numbers, complex numbers, dates, matrices, tables, etc.). It will also offer multiple equations and other advanced features we have traditionally reserved for our own purposes. In short, the template creator you use is the template creator we use.
- You will be able to save calculations and sync them to FastFigures.com. Through FastFigures.com, you will be able to share reports generated from these calculations, make modifications, compare calculations, and review a portfolio of calculations you have kept on your clients.
- We will be charging a one-time price for the offline version and a subscription for the online one. How much that is is yet to be determined. Given that, our goal is to get every iPhone and iPod Touch user to buy FastFigures Mobile.
How You Can Help
There are lots of questions still to be answered, from the nitty-gritty of features to the big decisions like pricing. You can help in two ways:
- Tell us you want to hear from us. You will receive occasional notifications about our progress, get special sneak peaks at the software and get the chance to influence our direction.
- Tell others who might be interested. We are a small company. Your willingness to tell friends and co-workers about FastFigures will make a huge difference.
If you haven’t already signed up for information on FastFigures Mobile for iPhone, please do so by sending us an email from here: